Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lessons from My Worst Nightmare

I don’t usually dream about school.  Several weeks ago, however, I had such a terrible nightmare that it’s continued to haunt me ever since. Here’s what happened:

I was in another teacher's classroom trying to teach a Romantic poetry lesson to all of the students—past and present—who have made it clear at one time or another that they were not Mr. McKinney fans. Personal attacks were made. Words were manipulated and thrown back at me. I couldn't find the page numbers in the book. I said things that were clearly hilarious, and no one laughed. I couldn't remember Keats' name and wouldn't let myself go on until I remembered it (I was so certain it was a two-syllable last name beginning with a C but was not Coleridge). The PA was broken and kept coming on randomly throughout the period, which did not start or end on schedule. Long pauses as I tried to figure out what to do next gave the students a chance to mutiny. A student had found something incriminating someone had pinned on a Pinterest page I made but have never used, and he announced it to the class and wouldn't let it go. My attempt to silence this student and turn this interruption into a “teachable moment” failed epically. I didn't have anything graded because my home laptop had a virus that gave me only a black screen of death when I turned it on (true story). Lesson plans were missing. No one could or would tell me what we learned previously, and what one kid told me was definitely not what we had learned. One student was digging through the teacher's desk drawers to retrieve her Spanish teacher's special rubber stamp to dishonestly add stamps to her homework card, and she refused to surrender the stamp or the card to me when I asked. This led to a confrontation in the supply closet which—though nothing inappropriate happened—would no doubt result in a he-said-she-said accusation of inappropriate behavior with no witness to defend me.  And, worst of all, two students were flagrantly in violation of dress code, the dress code referral forms were nowhere to be found, and a confused stranger was manning the phones in the Student Center when I tried to call for help. My later-in-the-day co-teacher, Linda, showed up at some point near the end, and I looked at her with tears about to fall and told her she might be on her own because I was considering taking a personal day, effective immediately.

I’m sure Freud would have a field day analyzing the goings-on in my dream, and a shrink could help me identify the roots and causes of what was troubling me. Instead, I’m going to use this as fodder for this week’s blog.

I don’t normally write about classroom management, partly because I don’t consider myself especially skilled in that area and partly because it doesn't fall under the heading of AVID’s WICOR acronym which often guides my topic selection. This dream, however, brings up six valid points about effective classroom management, all of which my “dream self” disregarded.  

1.  Walk into the classroom prepared. Dream Mr. McKinney had no idea what he was teaching that day, didn’t have materials and page numbers handy, and looked to the students like he didn’t know what he was doing (which was accurate). Without a plan in place to engage students actively, teachers like Dream Mr. McKinney are setting themselves up for a disaster, or at least for a period where little learning occurs. The days when I don’t have a clear idea of what I’m teaching and try to “wing it” are typically the most stressful.

2.  Don’t leave dead space between activities. One of the most important things I’ve learned about teaching is to give special attention to the transitions in my lessons.  How will I get students efficiently from one part of the lesson to the next? How will I handle distribution and collection of materials? How will I minimize dead space and not allow students to drift away? Sadly, Dream Mr. McKinney did not learn this lesson, and the students used a moment of dead air to unleash chaos in the classroom.    

3.  Sometimes you have to ignore things.  In the middle of the class, a student said something that attempted to get Dream Mr. McKinney off track. He knew what buttons to push and what to say to get his teacher’s attention away from the task at hand. Instead of letting the comment slide and continuing with the lesson, Dream Mr. McKinney stopped class to address the comment, tried to engage the student (apparently, Dream Mr. McKinney forgot that the teacher seldom walks away unscathed in an in-front-of-the-class confrontation), and attempted to seize the opportunity to turn the off-task, inappropriate comment into a teachable moment by sharing an ill-timed mini-lecture with the students.  While such a lesson is something most students need to hear, no one is “teachable” in the midst of conflict.  Every attempt to put the student in his place caused the student to counter-attack with more intensity. The lesson Dream Mr. McKinney learned: strategically ignore some comments and don’t discipline a surly student in front of his peers.

4.  If you ignore too many things, you’ll lose control. I love how Dream Mr. McKinney gets worried about a dress code violation at the end of the dream after everything else has gone awry. Too late, dude. While an effective teacher lets some things slide, he also knows that firm and consistent enforcement of rules and policies throughout the year stops problems before they spiral out of control.  

5.  Don’t let your emotions get involved in disciplinary issues.  At every opportunity, Dream Mr. McKinney allowed his emotions to control his actions. I can distinctly recall feeling the rising levels of anxiety, frustration, and anger while I was dreaming, and at the point when a calm head was required to diffuse the situation, Dream Mr. McKinney was hardly thinking rationally. Students love to see teachers blow their top because it’s kind of funny. Don’t give the students that joy.  Discipline with a cool, detached, demeanor and deal with the observable facts and logical consequences. Not being prepared (see #1 above) raises teacher stress levels and makes you especially susceptible to losing your cool.

6. Take care of what you can yourself, but know when to call for backup.  I’m a firm believer in handling disciplinary issues myself. The office has enough to deal with, and I've found that solving the problem with the student myself helps minimize future issues more effectively than outsourcing my discipline problems to the principal. Sometimes, though, a student needs to be removed from the classroom in order for the other students in the room to be able to learn. Dream Mr. McKinney was unprepared to deal with the discipline himself and didn't have a plan in place when his call for backup failed. I have found that if I make a practice of handling most discipline issues in my classroom (rather than being The Teacher Who Cried Help on a frequent basis), the principals are quick to respond when I finally do have to call them to intervene because they know the situation requires their aid.

I’m sure I could dredge up more lessons from the mistakes made in my horrendous dream, but the time I’m spending reliving this nightmare is causing me some stress. Rather than worrying about things in the dream world, I should spend some time planning my next lesson so this nightmare doesn’t happen in real life.

Thanks for all you do to help your students realize their dreams (and to avoid nightmares for you).

-Craig


No comments:

Post a Comment